Posted by: Concerned Mom | 2012-11-19

My Addict

Good morning CS I hope you are well?

Since my last post regarding my suspisions that my daughter was addicted, this has been confirmed. She was taking anywhere between 30 - 40 painkillers and prescription meds daily. We did a family intervention a week ago, and she is now in a rehabilitation centre that teaches the 12-step programme. She is really struggling emotionally, but I''m quite sure that all the emotions she is feeling are because she is no longer on her crutch, and now has to deal with life. Of course she blames us and is angry with us, and belives that we don''t love her. It just pains me as a mom to see her like this, but I do realise that we have done this to help her live, as she was slowly killing herself before. I just hope it get''s easier. She will be in rehab for a minimum of 3 months. I told her that if she works with the program, I will walk beside her every step of the way, but is she choses to leave, which she is free to do, as they are not locked in in any way, I will always be her mother and she always my child, but I will be forced to remove myself from her life. I just pray it does not come to that because I''m not sure I could do it. I pray this journey gets easier on all of us?

This is a particularly difficult stage for someone in her situation, as she is losing her crutch ( it only made her problems worse, but at least hid them from her ) and hasn't yet developed healthier alternatives to deal with whatever is distressing her. Be clear to her that you all love her, and only intervened because you love her. Should she walk out on the program, though you may choose to make it clear that you won't allow her back in the home IF she continues to abuse the drugs, make it very clear that you will continue to love her and will help support her into and through further therapy to find a safe and healthy way out of the dead-end she had entered before.