Question
Posted by: Mom | 2010/05/04

my 8 year old daughter

She is turning 9 this year and already wears size 32! she is also taller than most kids her age and her feet are longer too cos she is now wearing udult size 4 and 5.

i am worried that she is obesse, i try to give her veges fruits etc, but sometimes very hard for her to totally stick to that especially during school holidays when they go visit my granny, there they eat anything.

I am not sure what to do.

Dear Mom
The average weight for a 9-year-old girl is about 28 kg and the average height is about 127 cm, so your lassie certainly seems to weigh much more and is much taller than the average girl of her age. It may be a good idea to have her assessed by a medical doctor just to see if her growth is not excessive. The doctor will also advise you if she needs to lose weight or not. If this should be the case, then it is important to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), because the dietitian will have to work out a diet for the lassie that helps her to lose weight, but still provides all the nutrients like calcium that she needs for healthy, normal growth.

1

Dear Mom