Question
Posted by: KAT | 2011-09-07

my 7 yr old

my daughter is in grade1, she is so lazy with her school work, she hates thinking everytime she has to so her homework and i will ask her to workout the answer she would cry but once i promise her something like money she would work it out herself and would get it right.
I think there is something wrong with her, cause not only does she do this with me she also does it at after care and at school, to the point that her teacher has isolated her from other children and told me that maybe it could help.
she never finishes her work, every time they do class work she will only do half then suck her thumb and the teacher will wait for her to finish, she will only finish when she sees that all the kids are gone outside to play.
I am so worried should i take her for evaluation or maybe find some ways to stimulate her, and if so what?
oh and she always has to complain about everything, and she compares herself a lot with her baby sister who is only 9mnths old.
please help worried MOM.

I'm really not sure that bribery, especially with money, is the best way to encourage a child to do her homework. Gosh, if that had worked for me, I'd have finished matric with a large bank account.
She's really young, and should respond even better to encouragement, being paid with praise and hugs for doing homework ( which really isn't a struggle in grade 1 ( and withdrawal of interest and enthusiasm when she doesn't do it - NO access to TV, phones, whatever gadgets she likes, until homework is completed.
Notice an accidental version of this seems to be working at school - when she sees the other kids rewarded by going out to play, and she isn't allowed out, she finishes her school work.
Like all of us, kids do more of whatever gets rewarded ( whether deliberately or accidentally ) and less of what isn't rewarding.

1