Posted by: mimi | 2011-08-16

My 4 yr old

My son is 4 yrs old and 6months will be 5 in February. He only weighs 12.5kg sometimes 13kg and ive just measured his height by standing against a wall with ruler on head, he is 101cm. Ive been concerned from when he was about 2yrs that his height is too short considering both parents are tall and his sister is above average tall in height. The paedi is away and before i make yet another appointment with a paedi to discuss AGAIn this concern let me give you sum background:

When i conceived i was on high dose cortison (60mg) i immediately stopped using it (was for MSclerosis).
All drs have said the cortisone wont play any role in my son at all, i stopped taking it when i was 5 wks preggies.
Secondly he was born with congenital pneumonia and spent few days in ICU after birth.
He is generally healthy and at home no creche, only next yr. He hardly gets sick but when he does its always post nasal drip and seems to have a general allergic problem like myself and his sister.
I did try to have him tested for celiac disease 2 yrs ago but he screamed so much the nurses were not able to draw the blood so we gave up, or at least the nurses did! ive never been back to test for gluten intolerance but we did do a general food allergy test and his like his sister is very high to wheat! mine is too yet we dont react when eating wheat.

I have MS and like i say he is otherwise fine except he does not have a big appetite, it sort of goes good for a while then he looses it. Has a healthy breakfast but then wont eat much for the rest... Tends to gag a lot on certain texture foods which i think is something that happened at birth when all the tubes were down his throat! Seems to vomit a lot after eating tomato sauce or certain foods but i cant really see a pattern. I also believe his sometimes vomiting after eating is psychological in that because it happened once he know fears eating. We are also recently divorced and i know he is affected by this even though we use play therapy and all the advice from professionals to try and soothe his pain re the divorce.

Bottom line is i think he should be taller and now i am also concerned re his weight!!!! no dr up to now has taken me seriously when ive mentioned it at every visit for the past 3 yrs!!!!!

pls help

It is possible that the early illness (pneumonia as an infant) could have delayed his physical development. You should address his eating habits with the help of a child psychiatrist to prevent the vomitting after meals. According to the growth chart for boys, he falls between the 10th and 5th percentile (according to his age and weight. I therefore, suggest that you consult an endocrinologist to evaluate if there is any hormonal abnormality that could be the cause for your concerns.

Posted by: Zee01 | 2011-08-17

Shame man, not nice!
Go look on the site www DOT pediatrics DOT about DOT com/library/growth_charts/nboystwo.htm
Just take out the spaces and replace DOT and spaces with .
His height actually seems normal, weight is a bit below average!

Sorry, for butting in!

Reply to Zee01
Posted by: Sj | 2011-08-16

Im no doc but if your son is a happy healthy little man then you should have nothing to worry about. Boys tend to be shorter anyway and then have this monster growth spurt in their teens.

Reply to Sj