Question
Posted by: Debs | 2010/08/12

My 3 year old has started with sleep issues

HELP!!! I am going insane :-( The last 4 months my 3yrd old is having alot of sleep issues:
1) he wont fall asleep by himself anymore. He will either sit on my lap in the lounge and fall asleep or we have to sit on his bed with him til he falls asleep (he NEVER used to do this)
2) he wakes up repeatedly at night calling/crying/screaming for me. The minute I am there he passes out again. Last night in a space of 2.5hours I got up 9x for him!!!
3) at about 12-2am he wakes up and climbs into bed with us (he has never slept a day in his life in our bed, but now all of a sudden) - and only then does he sleep well! But then we cant sleep either cos its just a squash in bed.

I have tackled the monster/dark issue (he first blamed it on this) - which is not an issue anymore. He is a very bright boy and understands when I explain things...and knows he must sleep in his own bed...but when it comes to night time, it just doesnt happen. He just REFUSES to stay in his bed at night. We have even bribed him (taken all sweets and treats away)and incentivised him (star chart) him but nothing works. I really dont think my pregnancy is the issue, as he is so excited about his sister - he even " plays"  with her/my tummy. We havent made any fuss over my pregnancy either, so he cant be feeling left out.

I got aterax from the doc to try getting him into a routine (5ml) which doesnt work. Then tried 7.5m+2.5ml tenston which makes him sleep well but only for 3-4 hours. (he weighs 18kg)

I am beyond exhausted and tried all the tricks in the book!!! Nothing major has happened that could have unsettled him either. He has the same strict nightly routine and going to bed is not an issue (as long as either I or his dad sit with him) We went away 2 weekends ago and he slept in a bed in the same room as us but STILL climbed into bed with us. DO you please have any suggestions??

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Children at this age are really only interested in one thing, and that is attention. He seems to be a particularly "tough nut" to crack.

Fortunately, there are various techniques which can be used to correct the issue. However, the choice of which one to use will depend on all sorts of issues.

I would suggest that you should discuss this with your paediatrician, who should be able to guide you through the process.

1
Posted by: Sleep expert | 2010/08/13

Reply to Sleep expert