Question
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/06/01

My 2yr old cat died this morning

My 2yr old cat died this morning. He was rather quiet last week, but we didn' t suspect anything. About a month ago we got a kitten. At first he was behaving very badly around her. He would eat all her food &  fight with her. I got very angry with him a few times &  sent him outside. Last week he was quiter &  very tolerant of the kitty. I thought he was getting used to her. She would play with him &  try to start a fight &  a few times they lay next to each other on the couch and fell asleep.

All he wanted to do last week was sit on us when we sat on the sofas. When we moved him, he would make a fuss. I thought he was just doing that because of the kitten. He was rather quiet on Saturday &  slept a lot. He didn' t eat as much as he usually does. He would eat his food as well as the kitty' s.

Last week he spent 2 nights out. He generally goes out in the eveings to walk around the yard but always comes back in around 9pm. He didn' t come in the whole of the night. The last was Thursday night. My hubby went out a few times to look for him, but he wasn' t even in his usual hiding places. He came back Friday &  he seemed very tired. We just assumed it was because he hadn' t eaten the night before &  it had been cold.

Yesterday he didn' t eat &  his litter box was clean. We were concerned and had decided that we would take him to his vet today. Around 8pm he startd mewing. I carried him and he just wanted to be close. He didn' t want me to put him down. We were worried at this stage, but my hubby thought that maybe he had a bit of a tummy problem. He went to sleep. Around 4am I heard him making these strange mewing sounds. I got up to check on him. I found him lying on his side on the floor. I carried him to my room and woke my hubby up. He was making strange sounds. I held him a bit and then put him down. Hubby sat with him in the lounge. I was going through the directory to find a 24hr vet/hospital close to us. My hubby then told me that he had died. I am so devastated. What could have been wrong with him. I have never had a cat before &  he was our first. When he got quieter I assumed it was because it was getting cold &  he just wanted to sleep more.

What should Ilook for to knowmy cat isn' t well? Ourkitten is about 3 months old now &  I would be crushed if anything like this happened to her as well. I feel as if we were negligent &  should have seen some signs.

What have I done? My baby is dead &  I don' t know what I have done. I think I have just been paying too much attention to the new kitten.

Dear Anon

Anything could have caused the kitten's death. Usually a rapid decrease in appetite is a good indicator of disease but is not always easy to ascess in a kitten.

6
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/06/04

I' m really sorry about your loss. Pour your energy into your kitten - its difficult not to get paranoid after something like this happens but its not your fault.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/06/02

Im so so sorry to hear about your loss. I know how hard it can be. Dont blame yourself, you did all you could.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/06/01

I can' t get over this &  feel really guilty. My boy was a real gentle soul. I will miss him dearly. Thank you guys for responding. I have just cried the whole day.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/06/01

He was possibly born with Feline Leukemia or FIV and there was nothing you could do about it. I know how you feel though, one blames oneself for not paying more attention.
My beautiful giant boy died in February. When I came home in the evening I found him sleeping in the laundry basket instead of waiting for me outside and he didn' t want to eat but seemed fine otherwise, so I planned to take him to the vet the next morning. By the next morning he was really ill, his head was shaking and eyes were moving all the time, and I rushed him to the vet but it was too late, he had convulsions and died and they couldn' t say what of. After an expensive autopsy they found out he had meningitis and brain infection. The vet said he probably had FIV, that' s why he got the brain infection. If I had taken him to an emergency vet the night before, maybe he could have been cured with antibiotics. But then, I doubt if they could have diagnosed him then if it took an autopsy to determine the cause of death.
Autopsy is expensive, be warned. And you will still beat yourself up for not seeking help earlier.
From now on, I' m going to rush my cats to the vet the moment that " something doesn' t look right" .

Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/06/01

I don' t think it something you did. Unfortunately these really sad things happens. At least he was with you/hubby in the last final moments...

Sorry to hear about your loss. These things is never easy.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/06/01

Take him for an autopsy