Question
Posted by: Lou | 2010/02/08

My 2 yr old daughter

Hi CS -

Im hoping you could share some of your wisdom with me.

My daughter will be 2 at the end of feb. From birth till 14 months she was at home with myself and her nanny. I then sent her to a day care for half day and then her nanny would look after her until i came home from work. Usually around 5pm. She has ALWAYS been the type of child who wants NO ONE besides me and my husband. She will not let any one hold her besides us. Not a granny, a aunty etc etc. We have a happy home. She is well provided for. She has an older brother who adores her. Other than being shy around other people she is very normal. Developing well. Talks the hind let off of a donkey at home etc etc.

From January i started to send her to her brothers nursery school full day as i thought she might need the extra stimulation etc etc. I wont lie when i tell you she had some difficulty adjusting. But every child does. But she does seem fine now at the school.

Recently though she is suffering from night terrors (according to the pead) she will be like an animal in a cage. She doesn' t appear to really be awake. She screams at the top of her voice. She throws herself from any thing and doesn' t matter if she hurts herself she will continue. She also doesn' t respond to me when she is in such a rage. On friday night it almost looked as if she was still sleeping when this was going on. It can last up to 40 minutes with her doing this. It is very upsetting. She screams my name, like she wants me to console her but when im there, she doesn' t recognise me. and it almost feels like my being there with her frightens here.

She doesn' t seem to remember any of this the following day. Although it is hard to ask her, but from her behaviour it doesn' t appear so. She still wakes up and loves me and has a very normal day?

I took her to the pead on saturday morning who explained that she is experiencing night terrors and he said that there is very little that can be done except let her outgrow them. Its fairly common with some toddlers. However no matter what he told me i cant imagine some thing so terrifying being ' ' normal' ' .

Is there some thing wrong with her, or am i just being paranoid??

I really dont want to take her out of this school but if i have to i will. I would rather want her happy. My son says she is fine during the day and if she does cry then the teachers get my son from his class to come and console her.

Do you think it was too much too soon? I just dont see how that is possilble as she was in a nursery school half day prior to this school, and its a lovely school too??

I am a bit confused/worried.

P.S These night terrors dont happen every night. We' ve had about 4 of them in 3 weeks??

Thanks,
Lou.

Sounds pretty typical of night terrors, as compared to nightmares - the lack of response to you at the time, and the not remembering it the next morning, for instance. In some ways it's a bit like acidentally setting off your burglar alarm - lots of noise and rather frightening, but the alarm's none the worse for it, and eventually becomes less sensitive.
She should be able to adjust to basic situations like school without harm, though she is very young and her full adjustment may come along later, and not very soon.
It is likely that the night terrors will fade out on their own. If not, a child shrink may be able to advise on ways to help make this happen sooner

3
Posted by: @ Sam | 2010/02/10

Spooooooooky!

Reply to @ Sam
Posted by: Sam | 2010/02/10

I don' t mean to freak you out, but reading your post gave me goose bumps!!! Your story was that of a story I' ve read before, to the letter. Only this child wasn' t suffering from night terrors  her reincarnated soul was suffering from back-flashes of the night she died. Do yourself a favour and read Audrey Rose by Frank De Felitta.

It’ s about a child who starts suffering from these so-called night terrors at the age of two. All the symptoms are those that you have mentioned, even the part where she calls for her daddy, and when he tries to consol her, she screams like a pig being slaughtered –  she doesn’ t recognize him, and the next day, she remembers nothing of it. After lots of tranquilizing drugs, and a good 9 months or so, they finally stop. But they start again when she is 7, and NOTHING but the father of the child who died, the reincarnated soul, can stop it.

Reply to Sam