Question
Posted by: mary | 2011/05/10

my 17 yr old wont see me

my 17 yr old niece has cut off all ties with me(her deceased mom''s sister) and my mom(grandmom) after a heated argument about a boyfriend we do not approve of....I miss her and tried several times to talk/see her but she refuses...she also took alot of my money without asking me..please help?

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi Mary,

Keep trying to contact her and as part of it let her know that your opinions were only out of concern, but that you respect her decisions even if you dont agree with them.

Try and help her see that you are there for her even though you may not always agree on things. When the communication improves it will be important to speak about the money also, as this cannot be ignored even though it probably happened as an anger response. You may also consider telling her father what has happened.

It may take time but persist in letting her know you are there for her rather than a long period of silence.

1
Posted by: Teen expert | 2011/05/31

Hi Mary,

Reply to Teen expert