Posted by: Tracy | 2011-02-06

My 16 year battle with anorexia &  now diagnosed with Coeliac Disease

I don''t think I really have a question but I do have a story to tell and I think this is a great forum to do that in. I''m usually anonymous but here I gave my real name - this is all part of my recovery from a 16 year battle with anorexia. I''m now 28 years old. I decided (with the help and advice of my psychiatrist) to get the treatment that I so needed since I was a child. I went to Crescent Clinic for 21 days and had the most positive experience of my life. It was extremely challenging and there were many tears but it was really worth it.

I was there - I was desperate... I was stuck... I was totally comsumed by my eating disorder. It literally took over my life. It stole my friends away from me. I developed other addictions (caffeine, alcohol - been clean a year now, etc.). I have spent so much money on medical expenses, I wish I could take it all back but I can''t. I can just try to tell sufferers that they do not need to feel ashamed and that they can get help.

I left the clinic and a week later I was diagnosed with Coeliac Disease (gluten is basically toxic to my body). This is after I became safe and comfortable with my meal plan. I now have to change my lifestyle again because I cannot eat anything with gluten (or lactose because my body cannot break it down anymore as a result of the Coeliac Disease). This is not going to become a way for me to abuse my body. It is not going to become self-detructive. I''ve learned to become kind to myself.

Although I have two illnesses - anorexia and Coeliac Disease, I am at peace with both. I thank God everyday I am alive. I thank God that I have been blessed with healthy food choices and that I am able to now eat 6 times a day.

If you are suffering from an eating disorder - it''s NEVER too late to get help! You''re NEVER too deep! I was at the peak of my career, a newly wed and had no intention of letting this secret out but I realised it was slowly killing me. It will kill you too. Just take the leap and get help. It will lead to great things - you will actually learn about who you really are and begin to really trust and love yourself again.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello Tracy,
Well done on your courageous recovery, and thank you for sharing your story on the forum.
Best wishes,

Posted by: sam | 2011-03-18

I am just curious, how did you become anorexia. I am constantly thinking about food and if I don''t eat, my tummy rumbles and I am in such a bad mood and dizzy. I would really like to lose some weight but not by starving myself.

Do you have some advise on how not binge and think of food the whole day?

Reply to sam
Posted by: Lin | 2011-02-25

Thank you very much for sharing your story. I''m 27 years old and have also been battling anorexia for about 9 years now. I''m much better now, thanks to the help and support of my wonderful family and husband (I got married in January 2011).

Although my weight is still low and still battle with my ''thoughts'' and body issues everyday, I''m slowly getting better. I also battle with high cholestrol - very weird, but true!

I also was at my lowest point, weighing 33 kg and were in Tara clinic for 7 months. I now just hope that the damage I''ve done to my body won''t prevent me from having children.

I''m glad to say I''m accepting my body and myself more and thank God from rescuing me from this dreaded disease!

For anyone going through this - it''s not easy to get better, but it''s possible!!

Reply to Lin
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2011-02-24

Hello Tracy,
Best wishes,

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert
Posted by: Kasandra | 2011-02-14

Hi Tracy
Thanks for sharing your story, I likewise been struggling for years. It just progress if you dont say STOP and do something about it and YES there is hope and help. Its a process but so rewarding to learn to love and accept yourself.

I likewise discovered that I have high cholestrol and have to watch what I eat. Its weird how this happens ? But I use it as a guide line to be kind to myself not as a rule to hurt myself.

Its overwhelms me to think of where I was and the progress I have made.

I never want to go back to that dark place... althou I will never truely be recovered ... its still every day a work in progress ...

Reply to Kasandra