Posted by: LadyBug | 2008-11-17

MVP and Exercise

I am a 27 year old female and have recently been diagnosed with a prolapsed mitral valve. There is a mitral regurgitation, however, it is very small.

What cardiovascular exercise plan can I follow to ensure I remain healthy and treat the mvp with respect?
( I dont have any other cardiovascular disease or metabolic syndrome ).

HI there

I'd suggest you consult a doctor and have your early exercise programme guided by an expert in the area. Exercise is good for you, and so you should actually look to do it, rather than avoid it, but it's important to do it right. The risks with Mitral Valve Prolapse are actually pretty small, but it's still important to have an idea of how your body is going to respond. There are cases where MVP poses significant health problems and in these cases valve replacement would be considered.

So, with regards to exercise Aerobic exercise strengthens the heart and makes it more efficient and is generally recommended for those with MVP. Aerobic exercise including walking, jogging, swimming, or cycling, at a moderate pace for 30 minutes at a time is the safest way to begin exercise. You should try to monitor your heart rate and other symptoms and slow down if you the heart racing or lightheaded or faint.