Question

Music???

Good day doc. Not sure if this is something to bother you with, but I''m just wondering, where and how does ones love for music start. And why is it that you can feel so emotionally effected by music, be it classical, or rock or whatever it might be. Piano, or guitar or drums or whatever. My husband often tells be that I take my love for music a bit too serious, but I can''t help it. Is there maybe something in ones childhood that could''ve triggered a love for music? My father used to drink... a lot. And everynight of my childhood was fights and swearing and blaming and you know how it goes. And music used to be my escape from that, it never shouted at me, it never judged me, it never blamed me, it was just there to make me feel better, and I think that made me become sort of addicted...is that even possible. Do I need help to distance me a bit from music, or is it a good thing? And what effect does music have on baby when he/she is still in the womb? I''m pregnant now, and wouldn''t want music to negatively effect the baby?

Excellent question, still argued about by psychologists and musicologists, and it'd need many pages to even outline curent thinking. I doubt that your love for music could be "too serious". It's an excellent thing, which obviously is a comfort and pleasure for you.
There is no way in which music could harm the foetus and unborn baby. Maybe constant Death Metal wouldn't be ideal. But there is some evidence that calm, soothing music including classical ( some suggest especially Mozart ) can actually be beneficial for the developing child !
In terms o psychology and neurology, it's clear that music resonates well with brain function, so as a source of pleasure its not mysterious. Maybe it's a bit more mysterious that some of us adore some forms of music and hate others, when the basic elements are so similar

8
Posted by: Anam Cara | 2011/03/27

Some say that music is the direct link to God - I can see that it speaks to your soul and what you described about your father is so beautiful - thank heavens for sensitive people like you!!! This world could do with more people like you. Do you ever listen to James Grace - my favourite classical guitarist - he is unbelievable!

Reply to Anam Cara
Posted by: Jimi | 2011/03/25

Anon you are the type of fan that inspires us musicians to make music in the first place. Just as you wish you had friends who appreciated music, I wish there were more people like you who really listened to music. Most people these days are perfectly content with the Afrikaans sokkie crap and anything that is slightly more intelligent and challenging falls by the wayside...

Reply to Jimi

Thanks to everyone, that helps. I love music, especially (don''t laugh), classing rock and blues music. Guitar music I love. It''s so emotional, and especially if the musician is playing with a lot of emotion. Even if we go to watch a show, most people will freak out at the lead singer or whatever. You''ll find me staring at the guitarist like a orphan stares at an ice cream. I''ll sit and watch his hands especially. It fascinates me that I''ve also got hands, but his hand can make magic happen you know? My father used to play piano at night, with all the lights off in the house but a candle on the piano, and the front door open. Even now when I think of it I get tears in my eyes. It''s just that some people listen to the music on the surface. I hear everything. Sometimes a song can be so beautiful that it makes my heart ache, and then people can''t understand what it is that makes me feel that way. Oh well, I hope my children will appreciate good music too one day

I guess it''s like Jimi says (Jimi..some other Jimmy comes to mind at the moment as well), just enjoy it. I just wish sometimes I had friends that appreciated music the same way.
Kind Regards,
A.

Posted by: Jimi | 2011/03/24

Music is a divine gift from God. Be it rock and roll, classical, jazz or blues, music is the highest and most mysterious and abstract of all art forms. I am a musician myself I understand exactly how music works in terms of composition, theory, harmony and rhythm but music in itself is as mysterious as existence itself. Best to not analise and just enjoy the music!!

Reply to Jimi
Posted by: Maria | 2011/03/24

What aspect of your love for music is it that bothers your husband? Does music somehow interfere with your ability to live your life in a " normal"  fashion?

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Vaal Donkie | 2011/03/24

In a nutshell, music apparently alters your brain activity somewhat.

Reply to Vaal Donkie
Posted by: MusicLover | 2011/03/24

They say that if you play classical music to a child while they are in the womb it increases intelligence according to some studies.

Music is powerful because it speaks directly to your spirit or emotional centre, it bypasses your rational part of you and hits your spirit directly. This can be a good or bad thing depending on the music itself.

Reply to MusicLover