Question
Posted by: gerhard | 2010/09/20

Muscular Dystrophy

hi,

after watching a tv program about genetic inheritance i would like to ask the following question.

my dad had muscle dystrophy, i(male) am married and have 2 kids. one boy and one girl. what is the odds for them to inherit this dicease?
and what if they have children?

Hallo Gerhard
It depends if you have inherited the gene for MD from one of your parents and if your kids inherited it from you. Most people who are affected already have symptoms in childhood and there are more than a 100 different kinds of MD. Do you know what kind your dad had?
See also http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/muscular_dystrophy/hic_muscular_dystrophy.aspx

2
Posted by: gerhard | 2010/09/21

hi, thanks for the reply. unfortunately i don''t know the kind of MD my dad had. was 28 years ago. he only got it in his late 30''s

if i did inherit it would that mean i will get it at some stage?. tv program indicated that genetic inherited " factors"  or traits occor in the third generation with a 33 % chance. not to sure of this.

anyway, thanks

Reply to gerhard
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/09/20

Hallo Gerhard