Question
Posted by: Martie | 2012-04-24

Muscles getting weaker with more exercise.

Dear Fitness Doc
I have been exercising regularly (tried jogging and was spinning 2x per week). I then ended up at a sport doc and biokineticist due to a specific abdominal cramp preventing me from jogging at all.
They put me on an exercise regime, as the doc felt me muscle tone was too weak and I have sclerosis in my joints, especially my vertebral joints, where I exercise with the bio 2x per week, the rest of the days I exercise at home, and still spin 2x per week, and once a week I ride MTB for an hour and a half.
My problem is that throughout this program, which is now in its fourth week, I have been getting weaker. My muscles are also aching a lot. Now when I am put on the computer machine to do the leg exercises (2x per week), after about two sets I start cramping really bad, both legs and lower back. Its like I can do less and less the more I exercise. The bio said it is normal as the muscles are just tired. But I cant think that it can be normal to become so weak and suffer such extensive cramps the longer I continue to exercise.
Is this normal?

Hi Martie

It's not normal, no, but I'm at a loss to explain what is causing it. It can't be due to overtraining, because that's a more gradual decline and yours seems to be pretty profound and instant. Is it possible that whatever they are treating you for is also linked to the weakness? If there is a problem in the back, it can often lead to muscle weakness because all the nerves come out the back. This might also cause cramping in addition to muscle weakness.

It doesn't sound like normal fatigue, but perhaps by this stage, it has corrected itself (sorry for getting to you so late - I answered all the questions but for some reasons these two days slipped through the cracks). I think you need to just back off, train less hard and you're within your rights to challenge the bio, because though I don't know the specific numbers here, if you are genuinely cramping and dropping your performance level by this much, it may be suggestive of something worse.

1
Posted by: ray lang | 2012-07-04

The same thing happened to me and after many years of a slow decline in the way i was feeling, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, a dilibilatng syndrome that affects your joints and muscles and makes you realy tired after even the smallest exercise.

Reply to ray lang