Question
Posted by: Lyn | 2011/05/25

Muscles

Hi there, I have a friend who actually exercises a lot. She even participate in competitions. She however does not eat meat since she does not like it. She is for me underweight, and has started to get cramps in her muscles and joints. Her msucles feels stiff. I think this might be due to the lack of protein, am I correct?

Dear Lyn
If your friend exercises a lot and takes part in competitions, then the cramps and stiffness you say she is experiencing in her muscles and joints may be due to incorrect warming up techniques, inadequate recovery after strenuous exercise and/or a lack of potassium or sodium, possibly induced by excess intake of water during exercise without added electrolytes. The fact that she does not eat meat, does not necessarily mean that she is protein deficient. If she still eats fish, eggs, milk and dairy products, plus legumes (cooked or canned dry beans, peas, lentils and soya) then she should not have a protein deficiency. If she continues to experience these problems then it may be a good idea for her to have a medical checkup just to see if there are any underlying problems (joint or muscle strain, iron or vitamin B12 deficiency, electrolyte disturbances, etc).
I hope your friend will go for a checkup and recover soon.

1

Dear Lyn