Question
Posted by: Sam | 2009-08-03

Muscle twitching

From last year February I had this unctrollable muscle spasm in my right arm. I'  ve been to a chiropractor with no relief afterwards. I went to a physiotherapist with no relief afterwards. I went to my GP who prescribed Pexola who gave temporary relief. A month ago I went to a Neurologist for I want to know what causes this muscle to twitch, mostly at night, the moment I lie down and it keeps me awake at night. He did several tests, draw blood for 24 different things he want tested and I spent an hour inside an MRI scan for the brain and spinal area. No results, no origin. R15000.00 rand later and no answer. Rivotril was prescribed which I started taking two days ago. It does not make me drowsy like he said it would, but gives some relief in my sleeping habits. What am I suppose to do? He said that I should be happy that the MRI scans showed nothing significant, for it usually ain'  t good news. But to spend that amount of money with no answer.......?

Dear Sam
Certain mechanisms within the brain and the rest of the central nervous system help regulate contraction of muscles. Interruption of these mechanisms can cause abnormal spasms. (For example Motor neurons in the nervous system that are overly sensitive may fire below their normal thresholds. The reaction of the muscle cells itself to certain chemical stimulants may be over sensitive, causing contraction without stimulation)

I think the most important things to exclude are brain tumours, stroke, multiple sclerosis, which the neurologist looked for with the MRI. Did he do an electromyography test of the nerve of the arm to see if the nerve conduction is normal?

Also If not already done - ask your GP to send you to an endocrinologist to be tested for underactivity or the parathyroid glands ? You may have too low calcium levels.

Sometimes one just has to start somewhere and look through all the possibilities until you find the piece of the puzzle that completes the picture...