Question
Posted by: N | 2010-07-27

Muscle Spasms In Neck &  Shoulders

Hi, Im struggling with neck and shoulder spasm, and they are real bad too, usually i have to get injections to ease the pain for the neck spasms give me migraines. They (the doctors) looked up every possible cause but it all came down to my bad posture. Im turning 21 in october and i feel that this is a very bad problem to have at such a young age. Do you think its too late to do something about my posture? will yoga help? and if so, what type of yoga? i undderstand that there is a whole lot of different kinds.

Expert ImageYoga

It is never too late to do something about your posture. I have seen 60 year old people going from being to stiff to bend forwards past there knees to touching their toes 6 months later. The key is a little regular practice daily.
I would recommend a slow mindful style of Hatha yoga, beginner classes and possibly working one on one with a teacher experienced in remedial yoga, so that you can tailor a set of practices to help you with. Satyananda yoga or Sivananda yoga would be best as they are integral styles. It sounds like you could use some breathing and relaxation practices as well, to get in touch with your body. Many tensions that the body holds are mental and emotional and you need a holistic approach to releasing these things.

I remember coming to yoga with similar realizations about being young and my body being stiff already. I was amazed at how quickly you can turn it all around and free yourself.

Good luck, let me know if you require any further assistance.