Question
Posted by: Gail Burn | 2010/09/08

Muscle spasms

I continuously/permanently, 24/7 contract my calf muscles and these contractions cause spasms in my lower leg. It is more severe when I get stressed. I cannot control the contractions. Please help.

Gail

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Gail,

I sent a reply to your post regarding PMR (Progressive Muscle Relaxation) did it deliver as I can't see it posted here?

In brief PMR is a very effective protocol and especially effective with Autogenic training.

Autogenic training is a relaxation technique developed by the German psychiatrist Johannes Heinrich Schultz and first published in 1932.
Please peruse over and reply anytime - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autogenic_training

Progressive muscle relaxation (or PMR) is a technique for reducing anxiety by alternately tensing and relaxing the muscles. It was developed by American Jacobsen. See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_muscle_relaxation

How these techniques work is by training the muscles to notice the difference between tension and relaxation states.

Kindest,
Justin

2
Posted by: fahiem salie | 2010/10/19

good day

I''ve been suffering for years with tention, the problem is not concentrated to one area, but in various places, at the moment its my right ankle thats has swelled up not from any sort of exercise related problem, but for no reason just swells up. any advise as to how i can permenently remove this.

Reply to fahiem salie
Posted by: Stress Reduction Expert | 2010/09/14

Hi Gail,

Kindest,
Justin

Reply to Stress Reduction Expert