Question
Posted by: fiona | 2011/02/02

muscle spasm and diarrhoea

This is the third time this has happened in the past year. I get very explosive diarrhoea that comes on gradually getting worse over a couple of days until today it just comes every half hour and my insides are starting to hurt. I don''t feel unwell though.
At the same time I wake up at night (2 nights now) with really severe spasms in my back that take my breath away- each night more severe. I get up and try to walk it off because I am afraid to try to sleep in case it is heart trouble. I do go back to sleep while it is still there though, because it makes me very tired.Then in the day it feels a little stiff but not bad enough to do anything about.
The first time this happened I went to casualty and a cardiologist gave me a thorough check-up and I had a colonoscopy- no problem detected.
I also have a mild headache- not enough to take anything for..
I just find it very strange that these symptoms appear together. Could it have anything to do with fibromyalgia (which I get intermittently), or do I have some dangerous condition?

Hallo Fiona
Have you sent a sample of stool to the lab to check if you perhaps have an underlying parasitic infection? It could also be celiac disease (see http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/celiac/) This is best excluded by a gastroenterologist with various tests (e.g biopsy and blood tests)

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/02/02

Hallo Fiona