Question
Posted by: Gail Burn | 2010/09/08

Muscle spasm

I continuously/permanently, 24/7 contract my calf muscles and these contractions cause spasms in my lower leg. It is more severe when I get stressed. I cannot control the contractions. Please help.

Gail

OK, you haven't SO FAR learned how to control or stop these unpleasant and unnecessary contractions. There are various possible causes for such a problem. If these purely physical / neurological in origin, it would be best to see a Neurologist first, for a full assessment. ( Even physical and neurological conditions can show a worsening of symptoms when one is under stress ). If he finds no neurological problems, the next step would be to see a psychiatrist or maybe better a psychologist, for a full assessment of that area of functioning - and CBT, Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy could help you learn how both to deal better with stress, and to control and prevent these unnecessary contractions

1