Question
Posted by: Nic | 2008-12-02

Muscle repair

I would like to know what nutrients is needed for muscle repair after a hard workout? Some nutrition companies claim that L-glutimine is essential for muscle growth. I know that it is an essential amino acid that your body produces, but is it' s concentration lower after a hard workout? Wat is your take on L-glutimine supplementation?

Dear Nic
According to some experts who delivered papers at a conference on "The ideal sports beverage", there is quite a bit of evidence that athletes recover faster and more efficiently after very strenuous exercise if they take a protein supplement. The experiments they reported on were conducted with various Olympic teams and most of the athletes did recover better when they used sports drinks that contained some protein (not just glutamine by the way). The DSM company produces this kind of protein sports drink which is called PeptoPro, so if you are interested in trying their supplement you ask at your local pharmacy or sport shop if they sell PeptoPro. To read more about this type of sports drink, click on 'Diet' t the top of this page and then do a Search with "Ideal Sports Beverage' to find the articles I have written on this subject. Glutamine on its own will probably not be as effective as a complete protein product.