Question
Posted by: Izzie | 2011/01/17

Muscle Relaxants

what is your take on the usage of muscle relaxants during an ultra marathon such as the Comrades.
Do they actually work in reducing a spasm and what would you recommend cos I do realize there are a number on the market.

Hi Izzie

I think they're probably a little risky. I think the ones that are most effective probably bring some pretty serious side effects - you don't want the muscle to relax when you're running, only to not spasm, and I can't see that the medicine is "clever" enough to know this difference! So I suspect that the risk of injury and major underperformance is very high. The less potent relaxants probably don't have much effect, but they won't help anyway.

All told, i'd rather steer clear of medical ways to achieve anything, simply because the risk can only ever outweigh the reward.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/01/21

Hi Izzie

Reply to fitnessdoc