Question
Posted by: Yvonne | 2010/04/01

Muscle Recovery

I have been training very hard for 6 months with a personal trainer 3-4 times a week. During the first month of training I experienced a lot of muscle soreness for 1-5 days after my training sessions. These days I do not feel any muscle soreness after my training sessions. My personal trainer changes the intensity and increases the weights that I am using during these exercises often. I only started seeing results after the 2nd month of training and I am happy with the changes in my body. My personal trainer seems concerned about the fact that there is no muscle stiffness or pain afterwards. Should I be concerned? Is there something that I am doing wrong?

Hi Yvonne

That stiffness is not unusual when you start. It's caused by microscopic damage to the muscle which then has to be repaired. I won't bore you with the details of how it gets repaired, but that's why it gets stiff.

Once your muscle gets adapted to the training, then the stiffness goes away. You needn't be concerned about it - if you keep getting muscle stiffness at this stage, it would actually be a concern. Tired muscles, yes, and if you do really hard training, then maybe you'd feel some stiffness walking down stairs. But stiffness is a 'rite of passage', that really only happens when you start out.

What would be more concerning is if you start feeling that you're not getting fitter, or if you're unhappy with how you're adapting to the training. If those are OK, then you're OK, so just keep going, you're on track!

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/04/07

Hi Yvonne

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc