Question
Posted by: Curvy | 2010/02/10

Muscle Pull

Im over 20 kgs overweight, started an exercise programme for cardio &  strength training 2 weeks ago, before then I was only walking. I' m now experiencing severe muscle pain on the front and back of my knees, is this caused by the exercise? the pain goes away during and after exercise and returns in the morning and last the whole day. What am I doing wrong?

Hi Curvy

It probably is, and it's probably the result of starting out too fast too soon. It's not uncommon for joints to become inflamed if you go from not having exercised into a programme like this. The timing, the background all fits. The solution is often to back off by 20% - train 3 days a week instead of 4, or train 40 minutes instead of 50, and try it for a few weeks and see if you can adapt a little better. It's usually just a sign that you've 'overstepped' your body's ability to recover and if you back off, it usually comes right. If it does persist, then I would consider seeing a doctor, as you may have picked up an injury.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/02/19

Hi Curvy

Reply to fitnessdoc