Question
Posted by: Ali | 2009-03-20

Muscle pains

I started excercising in Jan this year, but i' m battling with muscle pains in the lower part of my body. At first I thought it was shin splints but,it is not the muscle in front of my leg, it is mainly the muscle on the outerside of my leg between the ankle and the knee. I also have muscle cramps, even the muscles on my back cramps. I asked a pharmacist and her diagnosis was blood circulation or shortage of Calsium and magnesium. I bought a generic to Slow Mag and have been drinking that now for nearly 2 weeks, but i' ve not noticed any difference in the pains. What can be causing the muscle pains and cramps? What can I eat/drink to rectify th eproblem?

Hi Ali

I think you need to consider seeing a doctor, more about the whole body cramps than the muscle pain. I suspect that the muscle pain is simply muscle fatigue and "wear and tear" caused by the running you've been doing. It's not that uncommon, and all that you need to do is reduce your training by 30% - cut back on how much you're running because it's probably just a little more than your body is capable of.

For the cramps, that's a different story, and while the pharmacist has prescribed something, it's clearly not the solution and you need consider seeing a doctor to establish the cause. There are maybe a dozen conditions that can cause cramps, and I would be guessing at the reason.