Posted by: Jacques Snyman | 2011-10-08

Muscle pain in hands

Good day,

I hope that you will be able to assist me in advise to whom I can go and see regarding muscle pain in my hands.

I''m 28 years old and is a tradesman by profession. It started about 2 years ago and it feels like it it is getting worse. I do not experience any pain in my hands what so ever normally, but only when I start holding something or working with tools that I get this pain in the hands, especially in the muscle between the thumb and forefinger. I first thought that it is some sort of " muscle pump"  from maybe gripping to hard. It''s starting to effect my work.

Your help will be high appreciated. Sorry for the essay :)

Thank you and regards,

You will have to consult a neurologist as soon as possible. The neurologist will have to exclude a neuropathic reason for the pain in your hands. In some cases, severe muscle mass increase can cause nerve impinchment with resulting painful hands and a weakness in grip. A neurologist will be able to provide you with the best advice and treatment.