Posted by: Brad | 2009-07-24

Muscle pain

Good day.

I am aware that this is a much asked question but still require your expert advice.

I am 26, in good health and in the past have gymed (weight training) for a long time. I have on many occasions stopped gyming for a while and then after several months have got back into it by starting of on light weights proceeding to heavy over time.

Four days ago I started gyming again (November '  08 been the last gym session) and lifted weights which needed 45% effort, light weights. I did chest and calves. Since this session my chest, tricepts have really been in much pain so much so that when I eat I cannot even bring my arm to my mouth or even put a t-shirt on.

How can such severe pain be caused from a weight training session that only needed 45% effort? I have in the past started of sessions just like the above when starting out. What remedies do you suggest to eas the pain.

As we get older and unfit, our bodies loose the ability to recover quickly. The pain that you are experiencing are most probably due to micro tares in the muscle and the accumulation of lactic acid in the muscles. This impaires boold flow to the muscles and causes an ischemic pain in the muscles. This will prevent the body from moving, in order for rest and healing to occur.

To remedy this, start off even lighter for a longer period and gradually work your way up. Stretching and a good cooling down period will be essential, as well as hot and cold treatments on the muscles. Myprodol can be used to ease the inflammation and accute pain but only for a couple of days.