Posted by: steve | 2009-01-06

muscle pain

I have had a sore shoulder for a about three months, that I have learned to live with ! Two days ago I suddenly developed a sharp pain in muscle that joins the front of the shoulder to the inside of the elbow. The pain is sudden and sharp and very short burst - feels like an electric shock. Very painful after effect for about a minute.

I seem to have narrowed it down to when my arm in hanging down by my side, and I have given my body a small jolt (like walking down a stair). The pain feels to be just below the skin, and sometime sfeels like oit travels along under the skin.

If I place my hand on my neck then I cannot getthe pain to occur, a steh muscle feels like it ha sbeen supported.

The first pain was when I got up in the morning - I do not remember doing anything stressful previously.

I am male and 52 years old.

Any advise would be welcomed.

Hi Steve
The pain sounds like a nerve irritation (nerve pinching) or may be an acute muscle spasm due to irritation at the shoulder level. Rather let your doctor have a look as I think the shoulder needs attention anyway. A cortisone injection may relieve you of all the symptoms!