Question
Posted by: Lily | 2008/10/06

Muscle or Joint Pain?

Hi Doc,

I am a 37yo female. I have been experiencing moderate pain in my shoulders. But it' s not all the time, until now.
I do kick boxing and sometimes struggle to keep my hands up due to shoulder pain on my left side.
I also can' t sleep on my right side anymore and woke up this morning with severe pain in my right shoulder. I can lift my arm to the front and side with only mild pain, but can' t move it at all to the back? I also can' t rotate my shoulder, as I would do when warming up.
I can' t hold my shoulder back and feel as if I am slouching on my right side to avoid the pain. This is a sharp stabbing pain &  can' t tell if it' s muscle or the actual joint.

I do have a painful right wrist especially in winter, it just aches &  becomes weak for no reason. I was wondering if this is related? Could it be arthritis?

I have had a look at your website, but can' t really pin-point which it could be? Please help!

Thanks so much

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Lily,

The wrist will not be part of the shouler problem and would be a different entity.

in you case the shoulder pain may be due to one of a few causes : with your age, gender and activity level i would consider one of the following :
- osteoarthritis of the joint
-calcific tendinitis of the rotator cuff
-biceps tendinitis
One could make significant progress by simply taking an X-ray of your shoulder as that would already show us if there is osteoarthritis or calcific tendinitis . If you had an X-ray taken( electronic ) then you are welcome to e-mail it to us to have a look at. After X-ray you will need to be examined by an expert if the diagnosis is still in doubt.

All the best,

Dr Joe de Beer

1
Posted by: Lily | 2008/10/13

thanks Doc

Reply to Lily