Question
Posted by: Deon | 2008/10/09

Muscle cancer

My 19 year old Daughter was diagnosed with cancer yesterday. The doctors were not extremely helpful. They talked around us. What I heard that it was fatal.

Today I can think straight and need to know, how and were do I find out more about her situation. I cannot get hold of her surgeons at all. Are there a data base kept somewhere? or must I just be patient.

Please help!

Hi Deon
It freaks me out if doctors don't speak to patients and families in a way is understandable!
Cancer is not necessarily fatal - muscle carcinoma is dangerous ( did they mention the word "Sarcoma"?) and would probably need surgery, radiotherapy or chemotherapy depending on where it is located and which stage it is in. Read this and see if any of it makes sense to you:
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/adult-soft-tissue-sarcoma/Patient/page1
Please let me know who your daughter saw, and I will try and help you to get more information. Where is the tumour located, and for how long has it been there? Did they say anything about lesions in the lungs or liver or lymph nodes? Did they tell you anything about what they plan to do next?
Please post your answer in the Post a question box