Posted by: Tom | 2009-01-31

Muscle building

Im 16, 6" 2 and 14 stone, I go to the gym 3 times a week and do 30 mins cardio and 30 mins of weight lifting however I dont seem to be building much muslce and there are slight changes in my body since going but no not much extra muscle and there are people my age, size and build who can lift way more than me and are quite toned and muscular the only other thing we dont have in common is that they choose not to do any cardio, I also eat quite well ususally eating 8 portions of fruit a day as well as a lot of carbs and meat so why am I not bulking up?

Hi Tom

Difficult to know. You might wish to look at your training and restructure it so that you have a bigger percentage of your time allocated to the weight lifting.

You also need to look at what you're doing in those weight lifting sessions. Perhaps you need to work out a plan that will gradually develop that ability to lift heavier. The fact that your peformance is not improving is a sign that the training could be adjusted to good effect. This means you might need to look at increasing the weights, reducing the sets and spending a few weeks getting stronger. You might be lifting too light or too often. So my advice is to look at the training and modify it. I can't be specific since I don't know what you're doing, other than the balance between weights and cardio.