Question
Posted by: Minie Me | 2009/10/27

Munchauzen Syndrome

Hi Dearest CS

My sister also posts here so I need to be careful.

I read up about this syndrome but I don' t think this is what I am looking for as this is when someone does things to THEMSELVES to get attention etc.

My sister' s child is ALWAYS i' ll. She' s not even 2 and I can hardly remember a time she did not have some " weird"  sickness...she' s barely out of hospital now she' s got toncils again.

Im sure a child who' s dying of cancer or hiv does not have as many doctor' s visits as this child and yet they just give medicine and more medicine but they can never put their finger on what' s wrong.

Maybe my imagination is running wild, but it' s just not NORMAL for a kid to be so sick so often. Yet when the child is with us she' s fine.

This is the only granchild and the only child in our family (between the siblings) and everytime this child is sick we all rush to help and to care.

Is there a name for this? I cant talk to my sister she' ll freak.

Hi MM,
The condition you're thinking of is called Muchausen's By Proxy, and was originally described by a paediatric doc I knew when I worked in London, called Roy Meadow ( who later got into some trouble for perhaps over-diagnosing it ) But it works like Munchausen Syndrome, except that a parent, usually a Mom, who feels generally over-whelmed by life problems, creates illnesses in her child, to dervice the sympathy and atention she wants.
But it needs to be diagnosed only very carefully, because some kids have serious primary illnesses that make them vulnerable to many other minor or major health problems. And some otherwise normal kids seem to be highly susceptable to multiple illnesses, especially infections, when young, and then recover and remain well. A good friend of mine has 2 kids both of whom went through 2 to 3 years of ear infections, chest infections, etc, and multiple ospitalizations, and then cleared up ; and have been pretty robustly healthy ever since.
The diagnosis can be important and not easy to make. The major difficulty may be that if the child is seen by multiple doctors, no one doctor may get the whole picture and recognize the relevant patterns.

1

Hi MM,