Question
Posted by: BC | 2010/12/16

Mumps (pampoentjies)

Dear Dr,

I am a woman of 32 years of age.

I have been diagnosed with mumps since last Thursday, it has been a week and I do not feel any better. My headache and stiff neck kept me awake last night.

My GP said all i can do it rest, which I have been doing for the last week.

For how long should i stay bed ridden? When can i resume my normal life and if symptons gets worse should i go back to my Dr?

Thank you in advance.
BC

Hallo BC
Any viral infection like mumps or chicken pox in adults can cause complications like encephalitis, so yes, if you do not feel better, rather see your doctor for a follow up visit. You should stay away from other people until about 9 days after onset of symptoms to avoid infecting others.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/12/16

Hallo BC