Question
Posted by: ILSEO | 2009/04/06

MUMPS

ONE OF MY COLLEAGUES HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH MUMPS. IT SEEMS THAT VERY FEW OF US HAVE HAD IT AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT THE SYMPTOMS ARE AND THE POSSIBLE DANGERS, I KNOW THERE' S SOMETHING TO DO WITH MALES GETTING " KALBASSIES" . HOW CONTAGIOUS IS IT AND HOW IS THE DISEASE TRANSMITTED?

Hallo Ilseo
Mumps is caused by a virus and is spread with droplets (coughing, sneezing).
It starts with fever, headache and loss of appetite, then you get swelling and pain in the salivary glands on the corner of the jaw above the jaw line, the pain is worse with eating sour or sweet foods. If the virus infects the testis in men, it can cause painful infection of the testis (orchitis) and in a low number of patients cause infertility.

1
Posted by: Lou | 2009/04/06

I had mumps as a child - Very swollen glands in the neck, with pain and stiffness - the head is usually tilted to one side du to the stiffness on the affected side (You can get mumps on either side of your neck). Flu like symptoms. It is spread through contact (like Flu). It is contagious, onbviously the lower your immune system the quicker you will be to pick it up if you have been in contact with someone who has it.

Reply to Lou