Question
Posted by: NORELLE BEETON | 2011/05/24

Mum had stroke

My mum has just suffered a major stroke, she is getting very depressed. What can I do to help her. she is still inhospoital and will be going to rehab soon to rehabilitate. Im worried about when she comes home, how do I cope and what should I do to help her. how long does this normally take?

Depression is quite common in people who have had a stroke, understandably. Her doctors, if competent, should notice this and plan for its treatment ( and you should draw their attention to this ). Once she is in rehab, you will be able to discuss with them, once they have been able to asess how she is recovering and what she can and can't still do well, and they can work with you to assess what support and hlp she may need when she returns home.
Its hard to give firm predictions. When my late mother had a major stroke years back, I remember a friend of hers clucked her tongue and told me quietly that Mom would surely be dead in 2 weeks. In fact, within 3 weeks it was that friend's mom who had died, of a stroke. Mom on the other hand was well enough to go to the funeral, where she met the friend's aunt, who confided in me that she was sure my mom wouldn't last 2 weeks ( although mom had recovered well enough to drive to the church, after dressing herself and helping with the catering ! And yes, that aunt had a stroke a month later, and died soon afterwards. My mother, on the other hand, determined to recover, made a remarkable recovery and returned to full activities for over 5 years, before a different head injury brought about her decline.

1