Question
Posted by: Rina | 2009-01-15

Multipule Sklirosis-help

I am so worried about my son, his fiance was diagnosed with MS over December while they were on leave, they have a six month old boy, He lives in there home and she is still in hospital, her mom looks after baby during the week and I do on weekends, they were going to get married in February this year, I have this feeling my son doesn' t know how to handel the situation he is like a animal in a cage he is so lonely and prefers being by himself now and I am worried he has never been a child to show his feelings, now this please tell me she will get well again, what will happen to that family if she doesn' t, please give me some advise, I am sure there is a lot of people been through this

So sorry to hear about this, Rina --- a tragic and difficult situation indeed. The difficulty with MS, if that is what is the disorder here, is not that it usually leads to a decline and early death, which seems to be what you are anticipating --- it is characterized, somewhat like Bipolar Disorder, by episodes --- at times it gets worse and one can be seriously disabled by it --- and then it tends to go into remission. Gradually, there may be an increasing degree of disability left after each episode, and thus accumulating disabilities. But, as I recall, people tend to live for a reasonably long time with this disease. I don't know, as it's not my area of expertise or work, whether there have been recent advances in treatment which may have improved the outlook.
The doctors caring for her have an absolute duty to keep her husband, and other family members involved in her care, fully informed about her condition and outlook. The neurologists among them should also know whether there are any voluntary or other groups in the relevant area, who can help to provide care for her when she needs it. And your son may be helped by some sessions of personal counselling, to help him work out the best way for him to handle the situation he's in

1
Posted by: rina | 2009-01-15

Thanks for the reply, I am just so worried they are still so young, it is so tragic.

Reply to rina