Question
Posted by: David Maritz | 2008/06/10

Multiple Sclerosis???

I have been on the net to research what is wrong with me, only to find that it might be MS, seeing the neurologist soon. Currently my GP etc believe it is in my head and that it is stress, I ended up in Hospital for irregular muscle movement from my face to my arms and legs, numbness and paralays and no "feel" what so ever. I could not stand on my feet without holding onto something and my speech was slurry and very slow for a week + after this incident. My speech is still affected and I do realize at times my speech is not 100% as I battle to pronounce some words. Tears will also appear in my eyes without me doing anything. I could not use my laptop nor cell phone because my eyes would just totally blur and not being able to focus at all. Sometimes I cannot even focus inside the microwave oven and needs to move closer to the microwave to focus properly. I am on Tripilene which helps with my headaches as it was very bad they used to wake me up in the mornings but ever since then my memory and concentration is a bit better. The last relapse I had I took a step and I was fine the next one I could not stand on my two feet I will go all pale. All of this started at the end of March this year and is quite frequent at the moment. I am frustrated at the moment in time as I do not know what is happening exactly with me, this makes me an insecure person and to live in fear. I would like to know is this possible MS, as there were CT, MR scans being done and also lumberpunch and a huge amount of bloodtests and all is negative.

Dear David
MS is a diagnosis of exclusion, so your neurologist would do a whole battery of tests to exclude other possible causes like infection or mini-strokes or hormonal abnormalities before they make the diagnosis of MS. I know it is difficult but don't jump to conclusions, be patient and let them take this from a point and work through it. With these kind of symptoms it is very much like building a big puzzle and only after combining some of the parts will a picture start to emerge. Will be thinking of you. Please keep me posted on how the examinations are progressing?