Question
Posted by: Zia | 2010/09/17

Multiple Pregnancies thru fertility treatment

Hi doc,

I am currently pregnant and it is a multiple pregnancy. My concerns are over the babies'' health. Are the risks for foetal abnormalities less or higher with pregnancies through ivf as compared to naturally conceived babies?

I am terrified right now. I will only be seeing a fetal specialist in the next month, but this wait is excruciating for me.

I just don''t know what to expect and as much as I am trying to function as I normally do, with a sound mind, it is proving impossible right now as I am so anxious.

Please advise.

Dear Zia

The risks of foetal abnormalities are not higher in pregnancies through IVF as compared to naturally conceived babies. However, there are potential problems associated with multiple pregnancies, the most common being an increased risk of miscarriages as well as a high chance of premature labour and premature deliveries. However, please be rest assured that the risk of congenital abnormalities is the same whether you have conceived through IVF or through natural conception.

Answered by Dr YM Dasoo

2
Posted by: THEMBI | 2010/09/22

What is IVF,can it help me to fall pregnant since we have tried for 3 years without a luck/

Reply to THEMBI
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/09/21

Dear Zia

Answered by Dr YM Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert