Posted by: stacey | 2012-05-30

Multiple Myeloma

My friend has been diagnosed with MM four weeks ago and has started treatment with thalidomide, endoxan and dexamethosone 2 weeks ago.She has had a blood transfusion prior to treatment because her count was very low ie 6 after the transfusion her count was 10. She has her bloods done once a week platelet, white cell and haemoglobulin. I see that her values for these counts are dropping ,They are currently 217, 8 and 7.6.
Firstly is it normal for these numbers to drop while on treatment and are these values close to that of a healty person.

Yes, the treatment can have an influence on red cell and white cell production. The value of her haemoglobulin (red cells) is very low and will need treatment. The platelets and white cell counts are close to normal.