Posted by: sunshine | 2009-01-19

multiple medullary cysts - left kidney

I had a cystoscopy on the 13.01.2009. The urologist also did a CT scan and picked up multiple medullary cysts in my left kidney. This was also confirmed in a MRI. Please tell me if this is something that I should be concerned about.

He has prescribed MACRODANTIN which I must take for 6 months. Does this remove the cysts?

Dear Sunshine
Multiple cysts in the kidney are often a hereditary condition also called policystic kidney disease. Macrodantin prevents infection, but the cysts will not go away.
Discuss the long term treatment and preventative plan with your doctor ( you should for instance go for regular monitoring of your blood pressure and testing of urine)