Question
Posted by: Kasandra | 2009-03-24

Multi vitamin

I take a multi vitamin after my breakfast. Does caffeine (tea) kill any vitamines? My bmi is normal is it ok to have a slice of toast with bit of peanut butter a hour before my work out after work?

Dear Kasandra
Caffeine should not interfere with the uptake of vitamins. However tea does contain compounds called tannins or polyphenols that can bind with Minerals like calcium and hamper their uptake by the body. If you have a normal BMI, then you can certainly have an energy snack like toast with peanut butter before you exercise. It is actually a good idea to eat or drink energy-rich foods before exercise and even drink an energy drink during exercise as this helps you to exercise harder.