Question
Posted by: Debi | 2010-11-16

Multi headache sufferer

I suffer from all kinds of headaches and on a daily basis.

I also get the monthly migraine, combined with as a result of tension, and as a result of C''s (chocolate, caffeine, coke, cheese).

After years of suffereing and endless searching for the most effective. migraine pain killer - both cheap and expensive - is still ongoing since it seems as tho my body (ex - soft drug-user) seems to build up immunity against almost all kinds of drugs fast.

Question: Where in the country (if available yet) could I get EXCEDRIN MIGRAINE and EXCEDRIN SINUS.

The normal Excedrin Headache Painkiller is already in my possession.

Thanking you,

Headache Experiencer Expert
Debi

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Debi,

Excedrin is to my knowledge not available in South Africa, but although it may be called Excedrin Migraine, this is just a marketing name, as all it contains is aspirin, panado, and caffeine. Thse are commonly available in many commercial preparations. Excedrin sinus is just panado with a common decongestant. Don’t be fooled by the marketing – they are nothing special. In any event, medication will not help your problem – what it will do is make the problem worse over the long term. There is a condition known as Medication Overuse Headache that happens to headache and migraine sufferers who have to take pain killers on a regular basis – the pain gets worse and worse and more and more frequent.

The only way to treat your headache is to get to the root of the problem. To do this you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2010-11-16

Dear Debi,

Reply to Headache expert