Posted by: JOY KLEINVELDT | 2011-08-10

Hi my soon to be 7yr old son almost always has a blocked nose. He sounds congested even when not. I looked up his nostril n im pretty sure what I saw was his adenoids blocking his nasal cavity. if i speak to him over the phone, i cnt hear what he is saying because his speech is so muffled. he has been snoring all his life n sometimes sounds like he isnt breathing. lately,he has been complaining of being tired even though he goes to bed the same time evry night and is woken up @ the same time. he also sometimes has a really bad cough. i think that hvng his denoids removed will eliviate the above mentioned problems but am not sure what the cost of such a procedure will be. pls advice. thank you joy kleinveldt

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Joy

I think you are correct in assuming that his adenoids are enlarged. They are situated in the nasopharynx (back of the nose), and would not be visilble though the nose, but what you are describing may be due to very enlarged inferior turbinates. It is impossible to give you an idea regarding the costs in the private sector, because not only does the rate differ from ENT to ENT, but the hospital costs are calculated seperately. The cost of the anaethetist is also added on. In the public sector you are charged according to your income.
The daytime tiredness is due to lack of quality sleep, and could be due to sleep apnoea. This must be addressed.