Question
Posted by: Lee | 2010/01/15

MUFA

Hi Doc,

Happy 2010!

Can you please tell me more about the MUFA diet. I caught the end of the Doctors series on MNet Series recently and there was mention of the MUFA diet. Can you please advise on this.

Also are there any benefits to using products like the USN or Biogen thermogenic stuff? What does Phenadrine do?

Thank you!

Dear Lee
Thank you for your good wishes. I also hope that 2010 will be a wonderful year for you!
I did not see the TV programme on this MUFA diet, but I presume that it is based on the principles of the Mediterranean diet which is rich in mono-unsaturated fatty acids (MUFA). These fatty acids are particularly beneficial to heart health because they lower 'bad' cholesterol (LDL-C) and increase 'good' cholesterol (HDL-C). Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and do a Search using 'Mediterranean diet' as your search term to read the articles I have written on this type of diet.
I am personally not convinced that the use of any of these over-the-counter "thermogenic products" actually do anything to promote weightloss. Some of the ingredients in these products such as synephrine (a herbal form of epinephrine) can be dangerous and also cause addiction. Check out the ingredients in the products against the list of slimming pill ingredients which you will find by clicking on 'Diet Detective' on the Weightloss section of the Diet site. The same applies to Phenadrine which contains citrus aurantium or synephrine, caffeine, and other stimulants like Yerba Mate. It also contain Octopamine which is similar to dopamine which is classified as an illegal drug in some countries. Rather avoid such potentially hazardous compounds and products.

1

Dear Lee