Question
Posted by: josie | 2011-04-21

mucus

I am 60 years old. For the past 8 months I have had to clear my throat of phlegm which is now getting beyond bad. I try to clear the lump in my throat but end up clearing my throat for 3 hours and not moving the lump. I spit into tissues for hours and eventually it subsides.
I have tried the sinus tabs, sprays etc and I don''t have an allergy although I am sure that dairy or sugar worsen it.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Josie

I suggest you see an ENT surgeon to perform a endoscopy of the upper airway to find a cause for your problem. One can not ignore the fact that you are experiencing the feeling of a lump in the throat. It may be the sinusses, but one must exclude a primary throat problem as well.