Question
Posted by: Anon | 2008-11-18

Mucus

Dear Expert,

I have been struggling with a post-nasal drip all through winter, and now hayfever. What can I do to get rid of this?

Expert ImageArchive

Hi there..

Increased thick secretions during winter can be a result of too little moisture in heated areas. They can also be due to sinus or nasal infections, as well as to allergies to foods such as dairy products.

If the secretions are no longer clear, there may be a bacterial infection, which requires treatment. Usually a high dose of vitamin C (3000 mg / day) for a week is very effective, but if there is any sign of fever consult you health care practitioner before 'self medicating'.

Dairy allergies are commonly responsible for producing the excess mucous so avaoiding ALL dairy, ja, no pizza!! (milk, cheese, yoghurt, cream, ice cream etc) for 1 week will give a good indication if dairy is the culprit.

I'm a great believer in nasal douches with saline.. literally sniffing salt water up into one nostril at a time. This clears the sinuses and kills the bacteria.

There are also numerous homeopathic and natural remedies on the market that may also help, but if all the conservative measures fail see an ENT.