Posted by: mob | 2008-11-18

Have OA hip with pain radiating to foot. X-Ray some joint narrowing. I have started to take Gluosamine which states what it does on the bottle . Afriend told me to also take MSM but there is no indication about what it is for or does on the bottle also take one or four tabs what is the recommended dose?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Mob, thank you for the question.

Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM, or dimethylsulfone) is an organosulfur compound and is promoted as a natural source of sulfur by the supplement and health food industry, suggesting that people are deficient in sulfur intake. However, protein in the diet is an abundant source of sulfur, which is contained in the amino acids methionine and cysteine. MSM is sold as a dietary supplement that is marketed with a variety of claims and is commonly used (often in combination with glucosamine and/or chondroitin) for helping to treat or prevent osteoarthritis.

Clinical evidence for the usefulness of MSM is limited to animal studies and four published clinical studies in humans. These pilot studies of MSM have suggested some benefits, particularly for treatment of osteoarthritis. Further studies would be needed to test the usefulness of the chemical as a medical therapy.

After several reports that MSM helped arthritis in animal models, a double-blind, placebo-controlled study suggested that 1500 mg per day MSM (alone or in combination with glucosamine sulfate) was helpful in relieving symptoms of knee osteoarthritis[8] Kim et al. then conducted a double-blind clinical trial of MSM for treatment of patients with osteoarthritis of the knee. Twenty-five patients took 6 g/day MSM and 25 patients took a placebo for 12 weeks. Ten patients did not complete the study, and intention to treat analysis was performed. Patients who took MSM had significantly reduced pain and improved physical functioning, without major adverse events.

No evidence of a more general anti-inflammatory effect was found, as there were no significant changes in two measures of systemic inflammation: C-reactive protein level and erythrocyte sedimentation rate. The authors cautioned that this short pilot study did not address the long-term safety and usefulness of MSM, but suggested that physicians should consider its use for certain osteoarthritis patients, and that long-term studies should be conducted.

Posted by: El | 2009-01-14

Please advise where I cannot obtain this MSM>  Thanks

Reply to El
Posted by: Ouma | 2009-01-09

I have been using pure MSM for ± 10 years now. I am 71 and if you look at my hands you will not believe that I " used"  to suffer from it. No knobbles and skew fingers like you usually see on old people' s hands. As long as I use MSM my hips and knees are fine and 90% pain free.
I can quote many other users. Tennis elbow, doctors wanted to inject with cortizone and operate on, painful shoulders which baffled doctors, also a diabetic guy with 13.5 count down to 4.5 - as long as he uses MSM, etc.

Reply to Ouma