Question
Posted by: minks | 2012/02/06

MS diet

Hi doc i have read the multiple sclerosis recovery diet and as i have MS it makes a lot of sense and need to try it out at least. I will need to cut out dairy and wheat gluten products as well as legumes like red kidney beans. I am fully aware how important these are esp for a low GI diet which i love. However i need to give this a try esp since my allergy test to wheat is extremely HIGH and it also positive for dairy so i must cut them out, my concerns are:

1. What can i replace the dairy with to still get good calcium intake, i currently take a 500mg calcium supplement.
2. How do i get more fibre now that i cut the beans...and the oat bran.... will i get my daily fibre from non wheat alternatives like gluten free oats from dischem and fruit and veg alone?
due to the fact i need hi doses of cortisone when i relapse once a yr or so i really am concerned what my bones will look like if i avoid dairy... is brocolli enough? and of course like i said i enjoy a low gi diet now i dont know without wheat and gluten how to regulate my sugar levels, what options are there out there to incl for wheat and gluten free fibre i.e. is there an oat bran alternative to this beside psyllium husk which tastes terrible!

Thanks so so much i cannto afford a dietician as i have to keep all the funds for MS relapses. I would be very gratfeful for your help

Dear Minks
This is indeed a problem where I do think that you should try your utmost to consult a registered dietitian. If you can't afford a private dietitian, you could contact one of the state teaching hospitals to find out if you can at least speak to one of their dietitians. I shall try to answer your questions, but I must emphasise that a patient like you with MS should be under the care of a registered dietitian who can see you in person. 1. If you cannot eat kidney beans or legumes, then you cannot use the soy milks that are usually fortified with calcium to replace cow's milk as far as possible. So you will have to rely on your calcium supplement for your calcium intake. Broccoli is alas not enough. To obtain 1200 mg of calcium a day (the requirement for adult men and women), you need to double up on your calcium supplement. 2) If you can't have wheat or legumes then you will have to obtain dietary fibre from fresh and dried fruit, vegetables, brown rice, and unsifted maize meal. If you get badly constipated then Fybogel is a gentler laxative than most. To regulate your sugar levels you will have to eat a small portion of protein foods (which is not milk or dairy or legumes) at each meal and possibly also for your snacks plus the fruit and vegetables and the permitted cereals.
I do hope that you will be ok and that you do get to consult a registered dietitian.

1

Dear Minks