Posted by: footballer | 2009-03-24

mri scan

hi im a amateur football player who has a knee injury.ive been to the rosebank sports clinic and after an external examination from a knee specialist he didnt find anything so he prescribed a mri scan.the problem is the scan is R4500(thats just to diagnose the problem never mind the cost of solving the injury) and my parents dont have medical aid so im kinda parents suggest government hospitals but im not so sure they will be able to help because everything is so disorganised at government institutions plus im not sure if they have the equipment.i have not played for 10 months and im a bit frustrated coz without the scan i cant establish whats wrong.what do you suggest i do

I hate to give up, but it's impossible for me to prescribe anything when a knee specialist, on examining you, has to refer for an MRI. They would have done that because they don't know, and so anything I guess is a complete shot in the dark.

My advice is that you talk again to the doctor and explain the situation and see what they suggest. If they feel that the MRI is the only option, then that's the only option. They may be able to start some kind of treatment without it, but it might be guesswork. Again, that's something you ahve to discuss with them, not me, because i really know little of the situation here. I think you therefore need to speak to them and find their suggested next steps, assuming that the MRI is not an option (which you must tell them).