Posted by: Sally | 2012-01-18

MRI results for painful hip Please explain the results

My left hip haa been painful for 3 months,worse with prolonged walking/standing, stabbing pain if I turn over from side to side at night, and stabbing pain with coughjung (all in left hip area). MRI results are attached and can you please explain what they mean. I have had enough pain,

51 year old patient who presents with left radiculopathy.
The lateral vertebral alignment is normal and there is no evidence of spondylolisthesis or of spondylolysis. The bone signal is intact and there is no evidence of bone oedema.
There is degenerative loss of the normal T2 disc signal at the L4/5 and L5/S1 levels consistent with disc degeneration/ dehydration. The remaining disc levels are intact.
At the L4/5 level, there is multi factorial central spinal stenosis. Marked hypertrophy of the facet joint contributes, and there is thickening of the ligamentum flavum. A broad based disc protrusion further narrows the central canal and both lateral recesses. No extension of involvement of the neural foraminae is seen and both neural foraminae are patent. There is no intra foraminal L4 entrapment.
At the L5/S1 level, there is a focal central disc protrusion impinging on the central epidural fat and resulting in minor narrowing of the left lateral recess. Facet hypertrophy is again seen at this level.
Although the inferior neural foraminae are marginally narrowed, there is no convincing intraforaminal L5 nerve root entrapment and normal perineural fat signal is preserved.
Multi factorial central spinal stenosis at L4/5 with associated bilateral lateral recess stenosis.
Focal central and marginally left paracentral disc protrusion at L5/S1 resulting in minimal narrowing at left lateral recess but no nerve root displacement or entrapment.
Considerable facet degenerative hypertrophy at the L4/5 and L5/S1 levels.

There is narrowing of the spinal column in the lower back, causing pressure on the spinal nerves that is the result of your severe pain in the hip. It is not uncommon for lower back pathology to refer pain to the hip. You will have to discuss these findings with your attending specialist.