Question
Posted by: Pam | 2011/03/28

MRI Experience

Hi Cybershrink

I last had an MRI in 04, I could not handle it and they sedated me.I avoided it again.Had one last week.Arranged sedation.I have allergies so they were loath to give it to me.Tried 3x with the MRI, was then so traumatised they had to sedate me and it was an ordeal.I had 2 major panic attacks during the afternoon (extreme pulse) &  I felt sick over the weekend. I am a bit angry that they allowed it to this extent but then again I have bad allergies. It was not unplesant for anyone.I can''t control the panic, my desperation to get out is overwhelming. Even my mom said that she could not believe that me (bolshy, brave as a rule, confident, logical) was reduced to hysterical &  crying &  almost screaming.The Dr. finally said I am a major claustrophobic.I''m 45 so it embarrassing as well.I am now so frightened of this that I cannot imagine having to do it again.And I have to.I have a back issue.Arthritis.And foot.Facing 2 major ops I avoid like the plaque.But I am getting older so healing is an issue.What will help me?Hypnosis?Psychotherapy?I will always need sedation.I never knew but now things like wearing a helmet (issue), snorkelling (bad experience) &  sitting in the back of a vehicle all come to mind.I am terrifed of MRI''s, scans, ops (I''m convinced I will die under anethesthetic).Please help me.

I don't quite understand the Allergy issue with sedation, as there are various potential sedatives, some of which also have anti-allergic properties.
As to the problem of feeling very agitated when undergoing an MRI ( which is entirely non-invasive, but does need you to lie still for some time while being moved through a large machine ) sounds like an element of claustrophobia, and a good psychologist providing CBT ( Cognitive-behaviour Therapy ) should be able to help you unlearn this unhelpful degree of fear, and to relax deliberately when you need to do so. HYpnosis is too simplistic a method to be the most useful here, especially not on its own, though a CBT therapist might teach you to use a degree of self-hypnosis to achieve the degree of relaxation you need. You might actually NOT always need sedation. HYpnosis requires you to give control to the hypnotist, something you mightnot appreciate, thouygh used within a CBT framework, you could yourself use it as a tool you were in control of.
From the other examples you quote, it seems an issue if fear of situations where you don't feel in control, and CBT would give you a way of gaining control of just these situations, and being able to relax and endure or even enjoy them

11
Posted by: To Y | 2011/03/29

WOW you were burried alive? Amazing !! Now wake up and get back to reality

Reply to To Y
Posted by: Y | 2011/03/29

Trust me I know about small spaces and being locked up in them for long enough.

Empathy without a solution is pointless, much like faith without works. We can all post examples of terrifying situations, burried alive anyone? Where are the solutions? Or will you all die sad?

Reply to Y
Posted by: QQ | 2011/03/29

To Y. You are truly the biggest -|- I have ever encountered. Please read up on claustrophobia and weep, arsehole.

Reply to QQ
Posted by: Even Song | 2011/03/28

Hi Y
why is QQ an asshole, why the insulting post?
Take a break from thinking about your morbid facination with death and apologize, do it now!

Reply to Even Song
Posted by: Even Song | 2011/03/28

Pam
Accusing WMB of having no empathy and being prejudiced was most unkind. As he replied to your insulting post he gave empathy, suggestions and his perspective.
An apology is outstanding, thinking of others feelings instead of your own problems may be a good idea!

Reply to Even Song
Posted by: Y | 2011/03/28

Let it be KNOWN from this point on, QQ is an asshole.

We are all afraid of something. One day you will all be DEAD, every one of you reading this will DIE.

Dealt with THAT yet?

Reply to Y
Posted by: QQ | 2011/03/28

I too am absolutely petrified of a MRI Scan. I feel like I will never get out of there. I go into some sort of a hock.
Only thing that helps is if my husband goes in with me and stays in the room with me. He talks to me and I know he will " save"  me should any of the bad things in my mind happen.

Reply to QQ
Posted by: WMB | 2011/03/28

I went beyond empathy I gave you advice and good suggestions, going on and on and on about how bad it is, will that help you?

Reply to WMB
Posted by: Pam | 2011/03/28

Look I appreciate the advice but none of that works.
You obviously don''t understand what an MRI machine is, have you ever had one as a claustrophobic person? Everything goes out your head except blind panic. That is how people drown. I am an excellent swimmer so I struggle to see how someone panics in water because to me it is natural. But ask someone who is frightened of water, shallow or deep or of the sea.
A person doesn''t just overcome your fear just like that. I take you are afraid of nothing???
And yes I do have faith. A bone marrow transplant has nothing to do with claustrophobia by the way. I suffer immense pain, I have allergies so I cannot take painkillers that you probably do take when you have a llittle headache.
Come on now you sound like a grown up so do have some empathy for others and overcome your prejudice.

Reply to Pam
Posted by: WMB | 2011/03/28

First of , just my two cents, I wouldnt recommend hypnosis it might make things worse.

You need to find something that can give you confidence in the MRI situation, put yourself at ease and just rest in peace not fear.

Have you tried any form of spirituality? Or even asking a higher power to help you with this ordeal? Then build up some faith and activate it within yourself by believing everything is going to be just fine.

Come on, your not a little girl having a bone marrow transplant (and there are millions of little girls who have had transplants, survived retained health and now contribute to society) your a fully grown mature woman you should handle this just fine, overcome your fears.

Reply to WMB